Nakedmanatee's Blog o' Mirth.

In which one man, through a series of holistic misadventures, attempts to break the barriers that hinder communication using only a computer, a handful of Wheat Thins--sun-dried tomato flavor, and the Talking Heads CD, "More Songs About Buildings and Food." Guest starring Rita Moreno as herself.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Excerpts from Graham Greene's "The End of the Affair"


This book is one of those books that ceases to be words on a page and instead takes up residence in the Byzantine corridors of my soul. Whether by chance or destiny, these pathways curve and loop unexpectedly, causing even the most ardent curiousity-seeker to give up and seek more rewarding surroundings. I sympathize. If I could join the exodus, I would. Instead, I have rooms decorated tastefully and singularly devoted to objects and ideas that suit me. Never let it be said that I was ever afraid to love unloved things. Maybe that's why my soul is my own and nobody elses.

As I was thinking these thoughts, I ran across a passage that eeirly echoed my own:

"The sense of unhappiness is so much easier to convey than that of happiness. In misery we seem aware of our own existence, even though it may be in the form of a monstrous egotism: this pain of mine is individual, this nerve that winces belongs to me and no other. But happiness annihilates us: we lose our identity."

Here are some other choice quotes:

"I would have liked to have left that past time alone, for as I write of 1939 I feel all my hatred returning. Hatred seems to operate the same glands as love: it even produces the same actions. If we had not been taught how to interpret the story of the Passion, would we have been able to say from their actions alone whether it was the jealous Judas or the cowardly Peter who loved Christ?"

"It occured to me with amazement that for ten minutes I had not thought of Sarah or of my jealousy; I had become nearly human enough to think of another person's trouble."

"I wanted to cry unobserved, and I went to the National Portrait Gallery, but it was the students' day-- there were too many people, so I went back to Maiden Lane and into the church that's always too dark to look at your neighbour. I sat there. It was quite empty except for me and for a little man who came in and prayed quietly in a pew behind. I remembered the first time I had been in one of those churches and how I had hated it. I didn't pray. I had prayed once too often. I said to God, as I might have said to my father, if I could ever have remembered having one, Dear God, I'm tired."

"I wrote at the start that this was a record of hate, and walking there beside Henry towards the evening glass of beer, I found the one prayer that seemed to serve the winter mood: O God, You've done enough, You've robbed me of enough, I'm too tired and old to learn to love, leave me alone for ever."

8 Comments:

Blogger Clearlykels said...

I have always loved the way that Grahm Greene deals with God in his books. I just thought that it was really interesting.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

As a general rule, I'm drawn to sadness like a magnet to the fridge (though you might not understand that from the humor I write..but that's what makes me a decent writer..).

Those passages you quoted certainly hit the nail on the head. Why do I want to get incredibly drunk right now?
ha (See? It's easy. Smiles.)

2:16 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

Oh, thank you for posting those exerpts! I saw the movie awhile ago and loved it, but I would love to read the book and am now motivated to pick it up.
I am such an avid reader that I'm outgrowing the library in this one horse town, and paying for the number of books I read in just one week is not an option.
I absolutely love when I find a book with such incredible writing and perspective that it makes me want to underline it and share it.
Great post, David!

4:48 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

BTW...just checked out the new side bar...

#1 Thanks for linking me!
#2 I'm so glad you left up the pictures of your cat. They just seem to make the day so much more...oh, I don't know...furry. ;)

4:54 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

Mmmnn...yeah, nothing new to say. Just trying to see how many comments it takes for you to get sick of me.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

Okay, well that was fun.

4:55 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

David, I love the last lines in the first paragraph of your post. That is beautifully said.

As for this novel, I do love it so. I can relate to the lines about being tired, that is for sure.

6:43 PM  
Blogger David said...

ck: Graham Greene is probably my fave author of all time. Have you read "Monsignor Quixote"? It addresses the issue of God, but the novel has a strangely sweet vibe to it.

Marty: I just love your line about the refrigerator magnet. :) Self-medication is underrated, methinks. ;)

Steph: Weirdly enough, I haven't seen the movie version. The book is awesome though. I would gladly send you boxes of random books just cause I'm weird and I love to recommend stuff. If that's too creepy, I must ask: can you get to a thrift store? Like, stat?

Steph 2: No prob! Links are fun. Oh, and the cat sheds, so that's completely understandable.

Steph 3: Okay, I think I need one of those "do-it-yourself-restraining-order" kits. ;)

Steph 4: Just kidding! Thanks for dropping in and brightening the place up when I was going out of my way to be all depressing. Thanks a lot!

T-next: Thank you, Amy. Nobody does clear-minded, rational melancholy like Graham Greene.

And I am simpatico with you on feeling tired. (Emotional tiredness wipes me out.) Here's to having a metaphorical cup o' joe to give you a boost! :)

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home