Nakedmanatee's Blog o' Mirth.

In which one man, through a series of holistic misadventures, attempts to break the barriers that hinder communication using only a computer, a handful of Wheat Thins--sun-dried tomato flavor, and the Talking Heads CD, "More Songs About Buildings and Food." Guest starring Rita Moreno as herself.

Monday, July 03, 2006

Happy Independence Day, America!

Okay, I'm a day early. But I am crazy-busy this week and just wanted to note our Independence Day. Instead of musing effusively over what I love about America, I thought I'd just have excerpts from Henry David Thoreau. On the back of my Signet Classic's edition of Walden, there is a quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson stating that "No truer American existed than Thoreau." And while everyone has their own American heroes (Thomas Jefferson is one of mine), I think Emerson's classification of Thoreau as a true American is solid. Here's some of my favorite "Walden" quotes...

"In the long run men hit only what they aim at. Therefore, though they should fail immediately, they had better aim at something higher."

"We are in great haste to construct a magnetic telegraph from Maine to Texas; but Maine and Texas, it may be, have nothing important to communicate."

"To make a railroad round the world available to all mankind is equivalent to grading the whole surface of the planet."

"Yet men have come to such a pass that they frequently starve, not for want of necessaries, but for want of luxuries..."

"The morning, which is the most memorable season of the day, is the awakening hour. Then there is least somnolence in us; and for an hour, at least, some part of usawakes which slumbers all the rest of the day and night. Little is to be expected of that day, if it can be called a day, to which we are not awakened by our Genius, but by the mechanical nudgings of some servitor, are not awakened by our own newly acquired force and aspirations from within, accompanied by the undulations of celestial music, insead of factory bells, and a fragrance filling the air--to a higher life than we fell asleep from; and thus the darkness bear its fruit, and prove itself to be good, no less than the light. That man who does not believe that each day contains an earlier, more sacred, and auroral hour than he has yet profaned, has despaired of life, and is pursuing a descending and darkening way."

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately..."

"I have always been regretting that I was not as wise as the day I was born. The intellect is a cleaver; it discerns and rifts its way into the secret of things."

"The universe is wider than our views of it."

"Nay be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought."

"Yet some can be patriotic who have no self-respect, and sacrifice the greater to the less. They love the soil that makes their graves, but have no sympathy to the spirit which may still animate their clay. Patriotism is a maggot in their heads."

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."

"Superfluous wealth can buy superfluities only. Money is not required to buy one ncessary of the soul."

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth."

"There is more day to dawn. The sun is but a morning star."

7 Comments:

Blogger Samantha said...

We don't have anything cool like Independence Day across the pond, but we have, uh, tea and, umm, crumpets. Yeah, we rock! Happy Independence Day!

5:28 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

David ~ These are beautiful choices from the text. I wish you a Happy 4th! May it be filled with lots of sparklers, lemonade, and BBQ!

8:18 PM  
Blogger Slim said...

My favorite:

"Yet some can be patriotic who have no self-respect, and sacrifice the greater to the less. They love the soil that makes their graves, but have no sympathy to the spirit which may still animate their clay. Patriotism is a maggot in their heads."

And that really long one...HOOEY! I thought I get carried away with run-on sentences. I ain't got nothing on Mr. Thoreau! Holy cow!

Happy July Fourth! Enjoy the pretty lights!

6:57 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

Love Thoreau! Great post.
I hope you had a great 4th!

4:41 PM  
Blogger David said...

First of all, hope everyone had a lovely holiday!

Samantha: I love tea, but I have no idea what a crumpet is. It sounds like an alternative hard rock band. "Helllllo Detroit... we are CRUMPET!!!" btw, my heart goes out to your country during World Cup... I thought England was going to make it past Portugal. That is one scary-ass goal-keeper that Portugal has.

Amy: Our holiday was crazy, but fun. Just like Matt Lauer.

WiP: Yeah, ain't those great? :) We saw pretty lights and that great World Cup game between Germany and Italy! That's the stuff!

Steph: Hey! Thanks! Walden always takes me to my happy place. Well, that and donuts.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Maine and Texas still have nothing to communicate to one another.

9:34 PM  
Blogger David said...

;) Laura, I think you're right. And I'm pretty sure if Thoreau were alive today and he saw text-messaging, he'd kill himself.

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home