Nakedmanatee's Blog o' Mirth.

In which one man, through a series of holistic misadventures, attempts to break the barriers that hinder communication using only a computer, a handful of Wheat Thins--sun-dried tomato flavor, and the Talking Heads CD, "More Songs About Buildings and Food." Guest starring Rita Moreno as herself.

Monday, June 26, 2006

61 Reasons I Love Movies


These are numbered, but really I don't have them ranked, per se. It's mainly just an organizational device!


1.) In "Nights of Cabiria" the incomparable Giulietta Masina is hypnotized into thinking she is in love in a powerfully vulnerable scene that becomes a symbol for love itself in all of its beauty and humiliation.

2.)Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction tracing an outline of a square right on the screen in a playful breaking of the fourth wall that reminds us that movies still have the power to surprise.

3.) Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman dancing on the clouds in Moulin Rouge while Ewan sings "Your Song." And oh yeah, the moon sings along. The moon!

4.) The creepy canibalistic toys in Toy Story.

5.)Peter O'Toole going back into the desert for the one man left behind in "Lawrence of Arabia."

6.) Warren Beatty trying to convince the vultures that Dustin Hoffman isn't dead in "Ishtar."

7.)The opening credits of "Apocalypse Now."

8.)The closing credits of M*A*S*H.

9.)"Scully... RUN!" Swarms of bees mass over Mulder and Scully in a great tense and kinetic moment.

10.)Jack Nicholson explaining the Donner party to his son in "The Shining."

11.)The jazzy, irrereverent music that propels "Get Shorty."

12.)John Travolta meeting Bruce Willis in "Pulp Fiction" and calling him a "palooka," as if to serve him notice, in this meeting of on-screen movie stars, that he was a big deal way before him.

13.) Kevin Costner poetically attempting suicide in the opening of "Dances With Wolves."

14.)The last two minutes of "Back to the Future" where Doc Brown returns in the DeLorean, which can now, to Marty's surprise, fly.

15.)Robert Deniro pressuring Joe Pesci to hit him in "Raging Bull."

16.)"You shoulda looked out for me a little, Charlie." Marlon Brando confronts his brother in "On the Waterfront."

17.)That huge-ass boulder in "Raiders."

18.)The amnesiac father remembering his daughter in "A Little Princess."

19.)A really fun mudslide for Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner in "Romancing the Stone."

20.)Steve Martin conversing with a freeway sign in "L.A. Story."

21.)"You have no idea." Jeremey Irons playfully teasing his lawyer in "Reversal of Fortune."

22.)Bill Murray and the electroshock psychic test in "Ghostbusters."

23.)Jack Nicholson triumphantly reveling in the make-believe baseball game in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest."

24.)Jimmy Stewart's filibuster in "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington."

25.) Adam Sandler making a poor choice by going back to work too soon after being dumped in "The Wedding Singer."

26.) A bone thrown into the air by the primates in "2001" fades into an image of the spaceship.

27.)"There's no crying in baseball!" Tom Hanks explains the finer points of the game.

28.)Tom Cruise and Willem Defoe fight each other in wheelchairs in "Born on the Fourth of July."

29.)Kevin Spacey finds a way to get a nice severance package in "American Beauty."

30.)Carol Ann speaking through the staticy television in "Poltergeist."

31.)Holy water squirt guns in "The Lost Boys."

32.)"I'm walkin' here!" Dustin Hoffman screaming at a cab in "Midnight Cowboy," later echoed in "Forrest Gump" by Gary Sinise.

33.)Sigourney Weaver in that forklift walker thingy at the end of "Aliens."

34.)Michael Keaton talking into a tape recorder in "Night Shift." "Edible paper!"

35.)Gene Kelly dancing and singing "I Got Rhythm" with the French kids in "An American in Paris."

36.)Cate Blanchett freaking out when considering taking the ring in "Lord of the Rings."

37.)The fight to the finish in the attic at the end of "War of the Roses."

38.)Arthur's drunken dinner with a prostitute in "Arthur."

39.) The IKEA catalog come to life in "Fight Club."

40.)Charlie Sheen breaking down at being arrested in "Wall Street."

41.) Lloyd Dobler with a boombox.

42.)The Raising Arizona theme music.

43.)The final heartbreaking two minutes of "All Quiet on the Western Front."

44.) Julie Andrews teaching the Von Trapp kids how to sing in the space of one song.

45.)"Turn into the spin, Barbie!" Sound advice from Hamm to Barbie in "Toy Story 2."

46.)Kneel before Zod!" General Zod, not mincing words in "Superman 2."

47.)Alan Rickman reading Bruce Willis' note in Die Hard: "Now I have a machine gun. Ho. Ho. Ho."

48.)What Kevin Costner believes in in Bull Durham.

49.) Chris Farley pretending he had nothing to do with the car door falling off in "Tommy Boy." "What'd ya do??!!"

50.) The opening dream sequence in 8 1/2.

51.) The orientation film in "Being John Malkovich."

52.) "I'm sorry, I thought you were Richard Pryor." Bill Murray's explanation for dousing a waiter with water in "Scrooged."

53.)"I thought all writers drank to excess and beat their wives. You know one time I secretly wanted to be a writer." Cary Grant bantering with Katherine Hepburn
and Jimmy Stewart in "The Philadelphia Story."

54.)Joan Crawford and her theories on cooking in "The Women." "If you throw a lambchop into a hot oven, what's gonna keep it from gettin' done?"

55.)A copier/fax machine gets what's coming to it in "Office Space."

56.)Captain Kirk losing his cool and screaming "KHANNNN!" up into the heavens.

57.)John Malkovich's mantra, "It's beyond my control" from "Dangerous Liasons."

58.)Mark Wahlberg gets an interrogation he didn't count on in "Three Kings."

59.)"How am I not myself?" An existential refrain undoes Jude Law in "I Heart Huckabees."

60.)Dan Ackroyd putting a fish in his pants in "Trading Places."

61.)A hapless Charlie Chaplin is strapped into the robotic feeding device in "Modern Times."

8 Comments:

Blogger Marty said...

I want to add more!
Though your list was incredible. I was going to do a 'Ten Reasons I love YOU, Manatee Dude' but, alas, I'm trying to keep this 'clean.' haha (Kidding!)

But honestly, your movie knowledge is awesome. It reminds me of how much I love movies.

More Things To Love About Movies
(Again, not in any order.)

1) "I am your father." Darth Vader to Luke Skywalker (Empire Strikes Back)
2) Rob Lowe's explanation of the St. Elmo's lights (St. Elmo's Fire)
3) "Sarah Conner?" before Arnold, as the original Terminator, opens the door and blasts some innocent woman also named Sarah Conner. (The Terminator)
4) "I want me a baby, HI." (Raising Arizona)
5) Robert Redford hits one into the lights. (The Natural)
6) "Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon" (the song, done by Urge Overkill) (Pulp Fiction)
7) Frodo lets the ring go.....(LOTR)
8) Ada jumps in the ocean with the piano (The Piano)
9) Three words: Slow-mo bullets (The Matrix)
10) Haley Joel Osment gets the BeJesus scared out of him in a closet, which is inhabited by ghosts (The Sixth Sense)
11) The Shining: blood flows from the elevators
12) Chevy Chase reaches the theme park, only to find it closed, and goes berserk (Vacation)
13) "I love you" Leia
"I know." Han (Empire Strikes Back)
14) The Nazis open the Ark of the Covenant (Raiders of the Lost Ark)
15) "This one goes to 11." (Spinal Tap)
16) Ripley stands before the Queen Alien, stops, tilts her head, then opens fire. (Aliens)
17) Harry Potter sees the spirits of his parents (Goblet of Fire)
18) Zhang Ziyi kicks everyone's ass in a bar (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon)
19) Zhang Ziyi in a field of snow (House of Flying Daggers)
20) Thelma and Louise go off the cliff (Thelma and Louise)
21) Brad Pitt and Claire Forlani make love, the whole thing being a new experience for Brad (Death). (Meet Joe Black)
22) Don't eat the soup.... (Fight Club)
23) Nicole Kidman runs, slow-mo, away from the house (Portrait of a Lady)
24) Mulder and Scully almost kiss in the hallway (X Files: FTF)
25) Kane drops the snow globe (Citizen Kane)
26) Elektra 'fights' Matt Murdock outside of his office (Daredevil)
27) Naomi Watts has one hell of a 'love scene' (Mulholland Drive)
28) Angelina Jolie has one hell of a 'love scene' (Gia)
29) Dian Fossey breaks down after Digit dies (Gorillas in the Mist)
30) "With your cheap shoes..." (Silence of the Lambs)

I'll stop at 30. But thanks for getting me thinking about it!
You Rule!

8:07 AM  
Blogger Marty said...

Willem Defoe lifts his hands to the Heavens and dies. (Platoon)

The Drill Sergeant gives the new grunts hell. (Full Metal Jacket)

Data turns off his emotion chip. (First Contact)

We see Jabba the Hutt for the first time. (Return of the Jedi)

Luke blows up the Death Star (Star Wars: A New Hope)

Aslan comes back to life (Narnia)

Darth Maul fights Obi Wan and Qui Gon (The Phantom Menace)

Carrie Ann Moss chews out Guy Pierce (Memento)

“Does Barry Manilow know you raid his wardrobe?” (The Breakfast Club)

Watts gets the guy (Some Kind of Wonderful)

“I’ve had the time of my life” (Dirty Dancing)

“What a Feeling” (Flashdance)

Sigh.
Too many great moments.
List could go on forever!
Or, perhaps I watch too many movies. :)

8:44 AM  
Blogger Samantha said...

I enjoyed reading your list about your fave movie moments, I especially agree with Pulp Fiction. Top of my list would be the beginning of Reservoir Dogs in the diner.

11:20 AM  
Blogger David said...

Marty: GREAT additions... I would have included many of them, but my brain became fried at some point and all I could think of was having a bowl of Lucky Charms. (It happens.) The Thelma and Louise scene is one of my favorites from an absolutely brilliant movie. When their hands clasp before Louise steps on the gas... Wow, goosebumps. I also can't believe I forgot Citizen Kane. Or Silence of the Lambs. Or National Lampoon's Vacation. (I particularly like the scene where Chase is wandering through the desert with his pants on his head. If that ain't classic, I don't know what is. (insert smart-ass replies here.) A few of these I haven't seen (like Platoon or Some Kind of Wonderful.) That'd make a great double feature! lol

Samantha: Hey, thanks for dropping in! You are right on with the Reservoir Dogs inclusion! There are many perfect moments from that film. I love Harvey Keitel talking to the guy in the back seat of the car about how he's not going to die. Nice scene. And Pulp Fiction... the whole thing is classic scene after classic scene. I also love it in Kill Bill vol.2 where Uma Thurman has to bust her own coffin and crawl out of her grave. Gee, I could just keep on going here.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Slim said...

Nice post...but I have to share with you a very funny and unrelated story. (it involves you ;-)

I have a friend who regularly reads my blog. The other day she said to me (she was totally serious), "You know, I asked my friend,(insert name of a religous person here) about that guy David's comment that said God thought that spiders creepeth too much and it's totally untrue!"

I'll give you a minute to compose yourself....

I laughed hysterically. The funniest part is she is an intelligent woman, and not at all an air-head. I guess she doesn't see humor in the written word as well as the spoken.

Too damn funny. Thought I'd share...

And my favorite movie of all time is Philadelphia Story. I can't watch it without spending several days thereafter walking around bellowing, "C.K. Dexter Haaaaaven!"

9:10 PM  
Blogger David said...

Shan: I loved your picks... well, the ones I've seen! Hey, I finally watched Eulogy, so I know what you're talking about there! FUNNY movie! :) I liked the part where Famke (can't remember last name) has the two boys rub her feet. I also prefer the unvarnished version of ROTJ. They're finally re-releasing the older ones on dvd.

WiP: OMG, that's hilarious! I love it. I guess I was being pretty deadpan there. Genesis can get pretty wacky sometimes, so you could probably insert lots of strange comments and have them sound believable. That'd make a fun quiz... list 4 things, 3 of them false, 1 of them actually from the Bible, and then see if people could spot the real excerpt. Hmmmmmmmm.
(Thanks for sharing!) :)

Oh, and The Philidelphia Story is one of my favorite movies as well. Katherine Hepburn at her finest. They later made a musical of the same story (different cast)...forget what it was called, but TCM shows it occasionally. And Cary Grant is so cool. I just watched "His Girl Friday," which was fun.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Ryane said...

How about this classic,
"Sorry Johnny, I don't have a dime."
"Didn't ask for a dime--TWO DOLLARS!"

--John Cusak and paper-delivery stalker boy...

9:53 AM  
Blogger David said...

Ryane: Oh, how could I forget?! Better off Dead is a true classic. Now I gotta watch it again.
Thanks for stopping by, Ryane!

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home