Nakedmanatee's Blog o' Mirth.

In which one man, through a series of holistic misadventures, attempts to break the barriers that hinder communication using only a computer, a handful of Wheat Thins--sun-dried tomato flavor, and the Talking Heads CD, "More Songs About Buildings and Food." Guest starring Rita Moreno as herself.

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Come and Knock on Our Door


In the short span of 1.5 months, school has taken over my life. And that's why you can hear crickets chirping around this place lately. It's deader than a church on Super Bowl Sunday. So what have I been doing, exactly? Besides downloading old Jackson 5 and O'Jay's songs off of iTunes? Well, I'm taking two, count 'em, two poetry classes... Renaissance Poetry and Prose & Romantic Poetry and Prose. (Note: if I would have taken a 3rd poetry class, my 4th one would have been free. Ah, well.) Lately, we've been studying sonnets. You know...those rhyming things that people used to write before there was rap. Anyways, there's a whole lotta them. And you know, there are quite a few good sonnets out there, but there is one major problem with the sonnets that I read. NONE of them are devoted to "Three's Company." Well, I set out to rectify this egregious bias against that most worthy of subjects.
Note: I followed the convention of the Petrarchan sonnet, which is ABBA ABBA CDE CDE. I tried to stay as close to iambic pentameter as I could, but that shit's hard! Here goes:

Come and Knock on Our Door
by David Scott

Come and knock on our door; the ancient sirens sing
Of glorious company three: nubile, randy.
Jack simmers, Janet quivers, Chrissy is eye candy.
Polyamory and Chastity, a strange fling--

Two women to which Jack cannot cling.
He sashays for Furley, a man that is handy.
His best friend is Larry, quite a dandy.
Of land, Mr. Roper is lord and king.

The couch, desolate of sexual forays.
Oh, Jack! You fell! A result of bad planning—
Oft times the sofa hides him on the floor

For those three who test the social mores…
Here comes another misunderstanding.
Run into the kitchen--watch out for that door!

7 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Impressive. That iambic pentameter is difficult.

Did you have to buy the Penguin Book of the Sonnet? It has a great selection if you dig the sonnet form.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

This is awesome - I love it.
And just so you know, as soon as I read the words, "O'Jay's songs," I immediately starting singing..."People all over the world...!!!!" :)

1:17 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Bravo, Master David! :) Very well done, sir. Now I think you need to write an ode to another great sitcom: The Golden Girls.

:)

7:11 PM  
Blogger David said...

Laura: Hey, thanks! We don't have the Penguin book, just some big-ass Norton anthologies. Maybe when the semester is out, if I'm not ready to kill myself and leave a suicide note in iambic pentameter form, I'll check it out! :)

Steph: :) Thanks! "Love Train" makes me happy. I also dig the slightly less optimistic "Backstabbers." ;)

T-next: Hey, Ames! Thankyewverymuch. Oh man. The Golden Girls? You are on to something there...

7:25 AM  
Blogger Slim said...

David, it's nice to hear from you! I can relate to your full life, my blog has experienced crickets since class started as well.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

9/29
Happy Birthday to my favorite nerf herder.

:)

1:57 PM  
Blogger David said...

WiP: Nice to hear from you too! I miss the regular blog days of summer. :) Curse you, higher education!

Marty: :0)
At my age, it's getting harder and harder to keep those nerfs in line.

Thanks. :)

3:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home