Nakedmanatee's Blog o' Mirth.

In which one man, through a series of holistic misadventures, attempts to break the barriers that hinder communication using only a computer, a handful of Wheat Thins--sun-dried tomato flavor, and the Talking Heads CD, "More Songs About Buildings and Food." Guest starring Rita Moreno as herself.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Back to School

Hey, first a big ol' apology for abandoning the blog for the last few weeks. School started August 21st and I've been buried under books, papers, and multi-colored index cards. Plus, I was attacked by wolves.

Yes, the Fall semester has begun and I'm back hangin' with people wayyyy younger than me. No, "dude" I wasn't at Woodstock, but I do remember Pac-Man. And evidently the fashion is to let your pants droop around your hips. I call this the "Norge" look.

Here's a lowdown of my classes, for those of you who are interested. If you're not interested, well I just don't know what to say to you. Quick, for the love of God, hit "next blog"!

Math 124--Introduction to Math Concepts. I'm an English major. I don't want to get to know math concepts, let alone be introduced to their evil ways. If I wanted to learn math, I'd become a MATH MAJOR. Is this so hard to understand? On the plus side we watched "Donald in Mathemagical Land." Thaaat's more my speed.

Linguistics. This one is kicking my ass. I'm not sure WHY I have to learn the phonetic alphabet, although I'm sure it'll come in handy on that new game show, "Who Knows the Phonetic Alphabet?" Barring that, I'm taking up valuable neurons that could be better served by deciphering R.E.M. songs. Come to think of it, phonetics might help me there.

Renaissance Poetry and Prose
Romantic Poetry and Prose. At last! Some friggin' English classes. I have to admit, in the great scheme of things, poetry is one of my blind spots. So I've been looking forward to these classes. Right now in Romantic, we're reading Blake, who rocks. In Renaissance we're covering the historical context...the Tudors, Lady Jane Grey, Mary, Queen of Scots... but we actually have yet to get to any poetry.

and my favorite class...

Femme Fatale in French Literature. The first couple of weeks has been examining the femme fatale in film noir. I did a presentation of "The Postman Always Rings Twice." I used fancy words like "epistemological," "hegemony," and "boobies." It was fun. Now we're reading Manon Lescaut, which is a lot of fun.

Of course, I'd much rather be goofin' off on the blog... I try and steal moments in-between learning faniks & embarrasing myself in front of professors to read blogs and leave commentary. Which is the way it should be.

3 Comments:

Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Those are BIG words you used in your presentation, Nekkid M. Damn, I am an English teacher and don't even know what the definition of boobies is! What is a boob? Enlighten me.

;)

4:43 PM  
Blogger David said...

Well, I've heard *I* am, from time to time. ;) Other than that, "boobies" are something Pamela Anderson uses to get free stuff.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

I have no idea what "epistemological" means.
When I figure it out, I'll think of a snappy comment.

;)

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home