Nakedmanatee's Blog o' Mirth.

In which one man, through a series of holistic misadventures, attempts to break the barriers that hinder communication using only a computer, a handful of Wheat Thins--sun-dried tomato flavor, and the Talking Heads CD, "More Songs About Buildings and Food." Guest starring Rita Moreno as herself.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Thrift Store Go-Around

I was cleaning out the shed this week. This is both scary and fun. In the shed are boxes filled with a lifetime's accumulation of cool odds-and-ends, most of which you've forgotten about. So each box potentially holds treasure: old comic books, magazines, school papers from 5th grade, photos... Stepping into the shed is like entering a tomb. There's one window where a shaft of light is streaming in, illuminating the dust motes that you've begun to disturb. The musty smell of decay pervades the forgotten. My eyes quickly scan for any movement on the walls and ceiling. Because this is the shed. This is where the crawling things hang out. (I don't really like crawling things. Or things that creepth, as the Bible might put it.) In fact, it's kinda like an episode of Fear Factor. Will he put his hand in a box full of knotted milky gobs of web to pull out an old Batman comic? Can he do it? (The answer: yes. Very quickly.) Even more paranoid than me is my mom. Before venturing out to the shed she warned me (and I'm not joking): "Watch out for mice. They carry the Hanta virus." Thanks, mom... As if I wasn't skittish enough. (But I did have to laugh, when I thought of Kurtzweil in the X-Files movie talking about the Hanta virus. Well, at least I didn't have to worry about the alien black oil possessing my body. Hopefully.)
I did find lots of goodies that I thought had long been given away or lost. My Bloom County books, for one, were like running into old friends. I also found yet another box of Rolling Stone magazines. I used to collect them obssessively until the boxes of magazines started to take over my life. Then I started giving them away in admirable attempt at reducing clutter. I gave them to friends, I sold some on eBay, I donated them to thrift stores, you name it. In fact, I had given away so many, I just assumed that I had exhausted my supply. But nope, every few months I unearth another find, another archaelogical dig. I'm convinced that I'll never be without a box of Rolling Stone magazines, no matter how hard I try to get rid of them. (I came across one of my faves, the March 21st, 1991 issue with Jodie Foster on the cover. I love Jodie Foster. And no, I'm not getting rid of it.)
I had managed to weed out about 5 boxes of old crap that I knew I had to get rid of. Sometimes it's just time, you know? So it was off to the Idaho Youth Ranch, which is Emmett's only thrift store. The problem with doing this, however, is that whenever I go to a thrift store, even if it's to drop off donations, I must go in and look around. And in doing so, I end up buying more stuff to replace the old stuff that I just dropped off. This is bad. Very bad. But good. Oh so good. My favorite thing in the world is books and you can't find a better selection of ridiculously low-priced books than at a thrift store. Plus, you know...summer... summer reading... I have an excuse, right? (I can justify about anything. Especially buying books.)

Here's what I ended up buying:

Oliver Twist -- Charles Dickens. I'm reading "Bleak House" right now, but I'm almost done. I don't know if I want to do two Dickens in a row, but it'll come in handy when summer starts to wane, I'm sure. And at 20 cents, I can't pass it up.

Ivanhoe -- Sir Walter Scott. I've never read any of Scott's work. He's the only major 19th century author that I haven't got to yet. He's on my short list. 50 cents

The Pyramids of Egypt-- I.E.S. Edwards. An archaeologist and Egyptian scholar explains the hows and whys of the pyramids. Looks very straight-forward and easy to understand--perfect for a summer day. 30 cents.

Medieval Russia's Epics, Chronicles, and Tales-- various. Not sure whether to give this to Tasha, who is into this sort of thing or keep it for myself. Hmmmm. It looks really cool! 50 cents.

The Prince of Egypt-- adapted by Jane Yolen. A nice oversized hardback kids book retelling the movie. This one goes to my daughter Ivy. The thing I like about this is that the paintings are original--they just didn't slap in already premade art from the movie. Very nicely done and only 50 cents.

Michelangelo: The Pieta and other Masterpieces-- Josef Lombardo. A small, thin book focusing on the Pieta (with a few other works, like the Bruges Madonna, thrown in.) The text looks engaging and pictures are wonderful. Again, 50 cents.

The Story of Jazz-- Marshall W. Stearns. I've been watching Ken Burns' Jazz documentary this summer and it's only made me crave more hot jazzy goodness. The quote on the back says: "Man, this book tells the real story of jazz..."--Louis Armstrong. DAMN. That's good enough for me. 50 cents.

Don't Just Do Something, Sit There-- Sylvia Boorstein. I'm interested in meditation, but I can never get my mind to shut up. I'd like to learn to at least hit the pause button. Looks like a friendly, easy-going book. 50 cents.

Gorillas in the Mist--Dian Fossey. One of my favorite books by one of my favorite iconoclasts. Fascinating woman. I already had a copy, but this was a really nice edition with Sigourney Weaver on the cover. 50 cents.

Babycakes-- Armistead Maupin. When it comes to literary adventures, I like to jump off cliffs. I've never read Maupin and this is the 4th in his Tales of the City series. Here I go. Usually I don't like to read a series out of order, but I did it with the Thomas Harris "Hannibal" series and I was just fine. Looks good. 75 cents.

Bastard out of Carolina--Dororthy Allison. Good friend Shan has been recommending this one for years... Looking through the shelves, it nearly jumped out and bit me! I'm putting this one at the top of my summer reading list. 75 cents.

Total: $5.50 plus tax. Not too shabby. Now I just gotta make room on my book shelf. Some things are going to have to go in the shed...

8 Comments:

Blogger Slim said...

I read Bastard Out of Carolina a couple of years ago, it was a good read, and a bargain at $.75 you bargain shopper you. I understand your need to purchase books at such ridiculously low prices, it's hard to go wrong there.

Just the other day I went through some boxes in my mother's basement and found a crap-load of books from my adolescent years along with a couple of books written and illustrated by yours truly whilst I attended elementary school. I guess I was a troubled kid because they were titled "The Alien Visitors" and "Goblins" (what would Dr. Freud have to say?) These were no bargain store books though, these babies would cost a small fortune...my genius was evident early on ;-)

6:08 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

Grueling day cleaning out the shed: $1.50

'Gorillas in the Mist': 50 cents

'Prince of Egypt': 50 cents

Spending a day wondering if you can properly add: Priceless.

(I wish I could think of funnier. But alas, I am tired.)

7:37 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Buying books never has to be justified! On some of your picks...

Did you read Hard Times by Dickens? I am not a Dickens fan, but its one of his better works. A more important Dickens-esque question is: are you familiar with the Monty Python skit "The Bookstore"?

I love the Burns documentary on Jazz and even have the CD from the production. I love early jazz, too, from the 20's and have the Time Life collection of that.

NO! DO NOT READ TALES OF THE CITY OUT OF ORDER!

What have been some favorite childrens books you have read to your daughter? Ivy is such a pretty name. :)

7:43 PM  
Blogger David said...

WiP: Cool, another rec for "Bastard." Can't wait to get started on it. Yeah, half the fun is seeing how low I can pay for something. It's an addiction.

And aren't those early-years books and drawings the best? I wouldn't worry about the subject matter tho'. I would often write stories about aliens, too. And look how I turned out. Um, wait...

Marty: I thought it was funny, but then again, I'm tired too. ;)

Amy: I did read "Hard Times," but I'm afraid I didn't really get into it. I'm enjoying "Bleak House" more. I've read a few Dickens titles, and for the most part I prefer the other celebrated Victorian authors. And yes! That's one of my favorite Python sketches.

Crap! Here I was getting all excited to read Tales of the City out of sequence. Okay, okay--this means I have to buy more books... you know that don't you? ;) (it's not a bad thing.)

I actually haven't read to Ivy in quite some time. She's being raised by my ex-wife and her partner (my wonderful friend, Shan)--both of which are doing an amazing job--I've been truly blessed and so has Ivy (she's 8, btw). Ivy is autistic and I couldn't have asked for a more intuitive, loving pair to give her love and raise her. They live in a different state so I only see them all a couple of times a year. I raise my son Chazz. (he's 10) When we read, we trade off pages... I read one, he reads one. Right now we're reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. And this is kinda funny, but when I was reading the Journals of Lewis and Clark for a class, he insisted I read them aloud to him. He was really interested, which surprised me because I thought they were a bit dry. But I actually got more out of them reading them aloud. Kinda cool.
And despite the distance we will always remain family. And this small blurb is not enough to convey how much love I have for each and every member!
And you thought you asked such a simple question! ;)

11:22 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Chazz and Ivy are very fortunate to have you as a father. Indeed, reading aloud gives so much more richness to any text, including Ethel The Aardvark Goes Quantity Surveying! :)

4:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Awwwww Dave. Thank you, on behalf of Ivy. :-) There's even a small chance, well, remote, actually, that she won't rip it. Either way, I know she'll get hours of enjoyment out of it, and you know how much that movie has meant to ME, too. :-) And thank you for the beautiful testimony of love you gave us. We, too, feel so incredibly blessed that Chazz is being raised by the BEST father in the world. We love you, too, beyond all bounds. Can't wait to see you...soon!

Your ex-partner, forever-friend,

Satina

9:26 PM  
Blogger David said...

Amy: Thank you. I feel like the fortunate one. After all, before I had kids, it was considered bad form to read aloud Sponge Bob books in character. Now I have an excuse. I'm not familiar with Ethel. I am considering writing a children's book entitled "The Naked Manatee and the Shadowy Canasta Tournament." I feel pretty good about it.

Satina & Shan: Thanks so much for your kind words of support. It means so much to me. And yeah, I knew "The Prince of Egypt" would be something that you would enjoy too, Satina. :)
Looking forward to seeing you all on your trip through here.
(Shan: Is Ivan a ho? If so, I'm going to read that one first.)

10:47 PM  
Blogger David said...

Hey Liz:
Cosine... Isn't that the stuff that's in cough syrup?

I will give you a head's up on the readability factor of Ivanhoe. I'm kinda curious myself. I could never get into Henry James myself. I've also had a go-around with Proust and came up on the losing end. On the plus side I've decided to write a 400 page novel on a Twinkie I ate in 3rd grade. It's going to be in French. I think it'll be hot.

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home