Nakedmanatee's Blog o' Mirth.

In which one man, through a series of holistic misadventures, attempts to break the barriers that hinder communication using only a computer, a handful of Wheat Thins--sun-dried tomato flavor, and the Talking Heads CD, "More Songs About Buildings and Food." Guest starring Rita Moreno as herself.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Dave Looks Up Words

This is a new feature of the blog that I optimistically hope will pop up from time to time. In anticipation of the GRE, I decided to strengthen my vocabulary. I have to admit that usually when I come across a word I don't know I just skim right over it and plow on through. At most I'll look at the dictionary that's sitting just out of reach, contemplating looking it up. And that's about as far as it goes. But not anymore!!! While reading "Wicked" I came across quite a few fancy-pants words that author Gregory Maguire used to construct his tale. And that's where we begin. (Note: If anyone stumbling across this blog would like me to Look Up Words for them, I do take requests. It's kinda like dictionary karoke.

Words of the Day:

(taken from the American Heritage Dictionary)

arabesque- a complex and ornate design of intertwined floral, foliate, and geometrical figures.

ascetic- a person who renounces the comforts of society and leads a life of austere self-discipline, especially as an act of religious devotion.

apothegm- a terse and witty instructive saying; maxim; proverb.

Go forth gentle reader and sprinkle these words into everyday conversations. Your friends and family will look at you funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home