Nakedmanatee's Blog o' Mirth.

In which one man, through a series of holistic misadventures, attempts to break the barriers that hinder communication using only a computer, a handful of Wheat Thins--sun-dried tomato flavor, and the Talking Heads CD, "More Songs About Buildings and Food." Guest starring Rita Moreno as herself.

Monday, June 12, 2006

Woody Allen's Star Wars

(Note: it helps to read this picturing Woody Allen as Luke and Diane Keaton as Leia)

Scene 1: Tatooine

Luke Skywalker, a short young man in glasses, is sitting around a dinner table with his Aunt and Uncle.

Luke: It’s just—It’s just—I’m sorry, I’m not cut out to be a farmer, you know. For one thing, and this is really important I think, there’s two suns. One sun is hot enough. Two is just ridiculous. I’m out in the desert… I'm thirsty all the time. Now I know how my ancestors felt, wandering around all those years. It's no picnic let me tell you…And look, look here. (he holds his hand in front of Uncle Owen’s face) Is that a spot? It looks like a spot. I’m thinking all that sun is giving me skin cancer. I mean, I wouldn’t be surprised.

Uncle Owen: Luke, I can’t believe you! Again with the two suns! I’ve told you time and time again, you don’t have cancer! Listen, it’s just one more year…

Luke (flabbergasted): One more year! One more year! I’m out there five minutes and my palms get all sweaty. It’s repulsive, my robes start to smell. I’m getting lesions… Here, look at this. It’s rather unattractive. Not that there’s anything resembling female companionship out here. I’m thinking of joining the Sand People. They may be uncultured, but at least they get laid once in awhile.

Uncle Owen: Oy, it’s not that bad! You give me a headache with this meshuga talk!

Luke: Oh sure, right, easy for you to say. You’ve got (he points to Aunt Beru) a loving and devoted wife. I’ve got my right hand and a copy of “Prurient Jawa Monthly.”

Aunt Beru: We know you want to leave this planet and join the rebellion. To be a pilot like your father, the poor schlemazel.

Luke: Actually, y’know I’m not so sure about that. It sounds very dangerous. I mean, obviously it was hazardous to his health. I hear rumors you know, I hear they’re building a Death Star, which doesn’t sound very promising. Very negative sounding. I just want to find a planet with one sun. And thousands of horny French underwear models.


Scene 15:

Luke and Leia converse in the Millennium Falcon.

Luke: Hey, we were pretty great back there, weren’t we? You fired at the stormtroopers with your blaster and I distracted them with my debonair wit and my huge lightsaber. We were like William Powell and Myrna Loy. I was William Powell, by the way.

Leia: You distracted them all right. And don’t you think that lightsaber is compensating for something? I mean you couldn’t stop swinging it around. It was embarrassing. I thought maybe I should leave you two alone for a minute.

Luke: Oh! Oh! Listen to you…you wield sarcasm like it was the Force. I did what I could, but that Darth Vader, with the cape and the mask, it was intimidating you know, it reminded me of when I lost my virginity. Y’know, your hair looks really sexy like that, in buns… It’s very Swedish, just like you stepped out of a Bergman film. I don’t know whether to make love to you or just muse over the existential pointlessness of it all.

Leia: I think it’s the second one. The one with the musing. We could muse.

Luke: We could do both! Musing and making love. It doesn't even have to be in that order! We could do it simultanously. I’m totally—I mean I’m totally flexible here. So, are you seeing anyone? We could get something to eat… My uncle has this deli in Brooklyn—out of this world knish.

Leia: Listen, Luke… You’re cute…

Luke: I’m cute? Really? You think I’m cute? Well, I was hoping for sexually irresistible, but I’ll take cute. Cute is nice.

Leia: But there’s something about you I can’t quite put my finger on.

Luke: I get told that all the time. It's no problem. We can work around it.

Leia: No, no, there’s something about you that doesn’t seem right. I don’t know but I feel it would be wrong to be intimate with you. Like it would be against the laws of nature.

Luke: Against the laws of nature? Whew. I gotta tell you, that sound you just heard, that *whoosh*, that was the sound of my ego being vaporized. I definitely felt, a whaddya call it? A disturbance in the Force. I mean, I’ve been shot down before, but—

Leia: No, no, no, shut up already, you don’t feel it too? That’d we be doing something completely wrong—taboo?

Luke: Oh I get it. You have intimacy issues, you bring up taboo! This is so classic!

Leia: I do NOT have intimacy issues! There is something…something…incestuous about us getting together!

(They both look at each other. It dawns on Luke.)

Luke: Ohhhh! Oh my God… We’re related? You know I did feel kinda weird, but I just thought it was the hair (he points to her head)…I thought it was the hair! This is horrible. Something was making me uneasy, but then I’m always uneasy. Oh, this is just great! The closest I come to getting laid in years, and it’s with my sister!

Leia: There was really no chance—

Luke: Oh, excuse me, I’ll be right back. I’m going to gouge my eyes out.

9 Comments:

Blogger Slim said...

How on earth did you come up with that?! Very funny. Nice Job with the humor...wait, you meant to be funny, right? ;-)

4:10 AM  
Blogger Marty said...

“Prurient Jawa Monthly.”

That is awesome!
Nice post, from one Star Wars geek to another.

;0

7:30 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

I am laughing as hard as Leia does when Luke. Han, and Chewie return from destroying the Death Star. "We did it...HAHAHAHAHAHA!"

The allusion to Oedipus is as funny as the name "Antigone."

Do you think that Asta is the Chewie of "The Thin Man"?

This post has me craving a martini and a knish.

8:19 AM  
Blogger David said...

WIP: All I can say is that I've probably watched way too many Woody Allen movies. I'm so glad you liked it! Thank you. I even tried to be funny on purpose. (Which sometimes works.)

Marty: Thanks! You know I subscribe to "Prurient Jawa Monthly," but it's strictly for the articles.

Amy: That's one of the reasons why the first Star Wars is my favorite. They actually smile and laugh and act like friends!
I'm glad you liked the Oedipus reference... It seemed like a very Woody thing to say.

And yes, somebody should turn "Antigone" into a musical comedy. "Mel Brooks' Antigone!" starring Leslie Nielson as Creon. With the smash show-stoppin' hit, "Over my Dead Body!"

LOL! I'm picturing Chewie as Asta! You made me snort! Audibly!

Go forth young jedi and consume said martini and knish. It is the jedi way.

(thanks Amy!)

12:52 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

David ~ Love Leslie Nielson as Creon! Here is the rest of the casting list; ammend if need be:

Antigone...........Mary Kate Olson
Tiresias...........Eugene Levy
Ismene.............Ashley Olson
Haemon.............Ben Affleck

2:45 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

And people wonder why I find Woody annoying... Luke too. Really, this was the perfect combination of annoying characters.

8:19 PM  
Blogger David said...

Amy: What a dream cast! lol I think we got a hit here... But I have to quibble. I'm afraid Ashley, being the superior talent is the ONLY choice for Antigone. Mary Kate just doesn't have the gravitas to pull it off.



Laura: My work here is done.

Sooo, I guess a double-bill of Star Wars and Small Time Crooks is out of the question?
;)

8:58 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

"I’ve got my right hand and a copy of “Prurient Jawa Monthly.” "
HAHAHAHAHA!!! That cracked me up!
Sadly, I'm afraid that was all Mark Hammill was left with after the Star Wars movies!

10:10 AM  
Blogger David said...

Thanks for the comments, Steph! You know what's really sad is that Mark Hammil is now selling his only copy on eBay. I think it's up to $23.00.

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home