Nakedmanatee's Blog o' Mirth.

In which one man, through a series of holistic misadventures, attempts to break the barriers that hinder communication using only a computer, a handful of Wheat Thins--sun-dried tomato flavor, and the Talking Heads CD, "More Songs About Buildings and Food." Guest starring Rita Moreno as herself.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Ask Solomon

Ye cometh plagued by many vexations; verily I say unto thee, absorb my wisdom, go forth, and despair no more.

Dear Solomon,

My boyfriend split up with me a year ago and I'm still searching for "Mr. Right." I'm beginning to think he doesn't exist. Is there any hope for me or should I just give up?
--Frustrated in Fresno

Dear Frustrated,
"This is an evil among all things that are done under the sun, that there is one event unto all: yea, also the heart of the sons of men is full of evil, and madness is in their heart while they live, and after that they go to the dead."

Dear Solomon,

I recently lost my job and I was thinking of dipping into my 401k. Of course, I'll pay a huge penalty for doing so. Should I do this or wait it out until I find another job?

--Unemployed in Utah

Dear Unemployed,

"There is an evil which I have seen under the sun, and it is common among men: A man to whom God hath given riches, wealth, and honour, so that he wanteth nothing for his soul of all that he desireth, yet God giveth him not power to eat thereof, but a stranger eateth it: this is vanity, and it is an evil disease."

Dear Solomon,

I'm making up my will and I was unsure if I should divide my estate equally between my children and step-children? What is a fair solution in this case?
--Stymied in Scranton

Dear Stymied,

"Yea, I hated all my labour which I had taken under the sun: because I should leave it unto the man that shall be after me. And who knoweth whether he shall be a wise man or a fool? Yet shall he have rule over all my labour wherein I have laboured, and wherein I have shewed myself wise under the sun. This is also vanity. Therefore I went about to cause my heart to despair of all the labour which I took under the sun."

Dear Solomon,

I'm writing because my parents are insisting on me going to an Ivy league school, but I want to stay closer to home. I feel like they're not taking my personal needs into consideration! How can I let them know that I'd rather not be so far away from home?
--Exasperated in El Paso

Dear Exasperated,

"And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of the spirit. For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow."

Dear Solomon,

Sometimes I feel like nothing matters and I wonder if I should just end it all. Are there any resources for me out there that can help me cope with this problem?-- Depressed in Des Moines

Dear Depressed,

"I praised the dead which are already dead more than the living which are alive. Yea, better is he than both they, which hath not yet been, who hath not seen the evil work that is done under the sun."

Dear Solomon,

My wife and I have a problem. She wants to use our tax refund to put a hot tub in the back yard. I say, it's high time we renovate the bathroom. Is there anyway to come to some sort of compromise? --Indecisive in Idaho

Dear Indecisive,

"And I find more bitter than death the woman, whose heart is snares and nets, and her hands as bands: whoso pleaseth God shall escape from her; but the sinner shall be taken by her."

Dear Solomon,

My boyfriend is always making rude and inappropriate jokes in front of my parents. I can tolerate it, but it's pretty embarrasing sometimes. Any advice?-- Mortified in Michigan

Dear Mortified,

"I said of laughter, It is mad: and of mirth, What doeth it?"

7 Comments:

Blogger Marty said...

Dear Solomon:
I have this problem. No matter what I do, my boyfriend insists on sex, every day of the world. How can I stop this eternal horniness, or is it just genetic in men? I mean, Damn! I'm getting worn out. I don't want my gyno to think I am a whore. Please advise.

(hahahahaa)

2:22 PM  
Blogger David said...

Dear Oversexed,

"Because of the savour of thy good ointments thy name is as ointment poured forth, therefore do the virgins love thee."

eternally wise,
Solomon

2:37 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

Dear Solomon:
I am having a hard time with my friend. She is just too wacky to look at; she reminds me of clowns, of which I am dreadfully afraid. I shriek in fear as she enters the room. What can I do?

The AntiClown

ps (We are funny people. I love us.)

3:54 PM  
Blogger David said...

Dear Anticlown,

"Sorrow is better than laughter: for by the sadness of the countenance the heart is made better. The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning; but the heart of fools is in the house of mirth."

Justified and ancient,
Solomon

(yeah, this is too much fun! Ecclesiates rocks!) :)

5:00 PM  
Blogger David said...

Thanks, Shan! :D I should point out that the first response to Marty's question is from "Song of Solomon." The rest are from Ecclesiates. :)

1:08 AM  
Blogger Marty said...

Dear Solomon:
I just saw a picture of Shiloh Nouvell Jolie-Pitt, and heard a strange ticking sound in my abdomen. As far as I know, I haven't eaten a clock or a bomb. Can you help me?

Biological Clock in Texas

(you know I can think of these things all day)

8:58 AM  
Blogger David said...

Dear Biological Clock,

"As thou knowest not what is the way of the spirit, nor how the bones do grow in the womb of her that is with child: even so thou knowest not the works of God who maketh all."

peace out,
Solomon

12:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home