Nakedmanatee's Blog o' Mirth.

In which one man, through a series of holistic misadventures, attempts to break the barriers that hinder communication using only a computer, a handful of Wheat Thins--sun-dried tomato flavor, and the Talking Heads CD, "More Songs About Buildings and Food." Guest starring Rita Moreno as herself.

Monday, May 29, 2006

Musical Language

I've just started to become addicted to podcasts via iTunes and I discovered one of the most fascinating programs. My discovery of cool podcasts is a pretty random affair; I'll just click on stuff that looks interesting and then listen to them later either on walks or at the gym (did you know that gym means naked? LOL, just a random aside.) I was on a walk (fully clothed, thank you very much) and began to play a podcast originally broadcast on WNYC public radio. I'm a big public radio fan, so this seemed like a good choice for blind downloading. The particular segment was from their RadioLab program, entitled "Musical Language." It's fascinating... I was mesmerized listening to it, and I kept walking further than I was going to go because I was so lost in it. I won't go into too much detail cause it's best you listen to it yourself, but essentially they discuss how music is related to language and why music makes you feel. Great stuff.

Check out RadioLab. They have their downloadable podcasts available there. It's a trip.

5 Comments:

Blogger ThursdayNext said...

You are a big Public Radio fan? I love WNYC. Do you listen to Jonathan Schwartz? Cartalk? Wait Wait Don't Tell Me?

Radio Lab is awesome! :)

6:40 PM  
Blogger David said...

I only recently discovered WNYC through the wonder of the internet. But I do listen to a lot of the nationally syndicated programs on my local station in Idaho. My fav'rits are Fresh Air w/ Terry Gross, A Prarie Home Companion, and of course, I get my news from All Things Considered and the BBC. News sounds so much better when delivered in a British accent. There are lots of music programs I listen to on the sister station, like Echoes and The Thistle and Shamrock. Public radio rocks. :)
And yeah, I just listened to a new Radio Lab today and I'm downloading another one right now. Insanely addictive!!

9:01 PM  
Blogger David said...

Oh yeah... Michael Feldman's Whaddya Know? That one's fun.

9:02 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Sigh...you are a person after my own heart. You must check out Car Talk if you can!

6:12 PM  
Blogger David said...

I envy you...being on the east coast, you probably have access to lots of wonderful programming. I'm thankful for the internet tho'... I would never have had access to Radio Lab without my 'puter.
And yes, I'll have to hunt down Car Talk... I'm pretty sure I've heard it advertised, so I know we get it... just don't know when.
Thanks for the tip!

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home