Nakedmanatee's Blog o' Mirth.

In which one man, through a series of holistic misadventures, attempts to break the barriers that hinder communication using only a computer, a handful of Wheat Thins--sun-dried tomato flavor, and the Talking Heads CD, "More Songs About Buildings and Food." Guest starring Rita Moreno as herself.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Writing Workshop

I was thumbing through the newspaper this morning and I caught a blurb advertising a drop-in writing workshop at the Log Cabin Literary Center in Boise. (Yup, it's an actual log cabin.) I haven't done much creative writing lately, but I felt the whim hit me and decided to take the description to heart and just drop-in. I'm so glad I did.

It was headed up by Tamara Shores, a local author who was as sweet as pie. I confess I had never heard about her before, but she's a BSU graduate who went on to have a play produced at the Kennedy Center, and then later adapted as a short film that got some play on Starz and Encore. What mattered to me, however, was that she was super-supportive, friendly, and a great instructor.

The objective was fairly simple. She gave us a writing prompt, starting with a list of character-types (biologist, realtor, virgin, etc.) We picked two. Then we picked a common interest that the two characters would share (from a list of common interests.) Then we were given a conflict idea. The two characters want to be like each other... Find the conflict inherent in such a situation.

I picked the realtor and the virgin. They both share a love of musicals, especially Phantom of the Opera. Then, after that, I couldn't believe how quickly the details started to gel. At the end of our two hour session, I had a whole story plotted out. (I ain't gonna tell you any more cause I want to write it and I don't want to spoil it.)

Suffice to say, it was an incredibly rewarding workshop... Everyone there was very cool and had great ideas. I'm so glad I listened to impulse and just went in.

2 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Thanks Shan! Yeah, it was one of those serendipitous things... It was so much fun to be around other writers and hear their ideas. I've got a lot of ideas for my story too and would floors me is that it never would have existed without this workshop.
Thanks for the support! :)

3:49 PM  
Blogger David said...

Hey, no prob! I'll definitely post more when I gots more. :) The workshop was a one-shot dealie, but I'm going to be on the lookout for more. The Boise Log Cabin Literary Center is a cooool place and they have events going on all the time. I think in the fall they have Amy Tan coming through to give a lecture. So that's pretty cool.

vaguely metaphorical,
Dave

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home